Saturday 31 May 2014

Finding God in the Godless.


I have always found it hard to deal with the message that God is everywhere, all around us. Sometimes for me it can seem like he is only really there at church, youth group or when I'm praying. But, I have been thinking recently about the fact that he can be found anywhere, in all aspects of our lives if we look.

I am a big fan of both rap music and hardcore punk rock. My struggle with liking these is often times the lyrics promote a very ungodly way of the world. Rap is all about your material wealth. money, cars and so on. Whilst punk rock can talk a lot about how terrible the world is and how we are all doomed no matter what. This is at least my experience with the bands I listen to and as you can see they don't display a very godly message that I want to fill my head with. I used to consider these genres godless, without God, but in fact they are not. 


Lecrea is a popular example of a Christian rapper who's lyrics promote following God and rejecting materiel wealth. I discovered Lecrea a while back and felt refreshed that I could listen to rap without disagreeing with the lyrics, but I was still left with the that feeling when I listened to some of these punk rock bands. Then one of my friends showed me 'Being as an Ocean' a wonderful hardcore band (with a bit of screaming which I do like!) but with lyrics about love and grace "the greatest law is love" is a lyric of theirs.  It was wonderful to discover both these artist and if you like either of those genres I highly recommend them. They preach God in a wildly Godless genre.

Psalm 139:7-9 "Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there." 

The bible has made it clear no matter where you go, no matter how much you might stray from him, God is there with you the whole time. So if you are in a position where you just can't seem to find God; whether it be at school, a genre of music you like or anything really, first turn to prayer then look around. I thought there was not really any Christian's at my school but it turns out there are a fair few who I am not friends with.

Seek and you will find God in the Godless. 


Here are the links to the two mentioned artist if you want to give them a listen: (click the names)

Lecrea

Being as an Ocean


No comments:

Post a Comment