Saturday 10 May 2014

Gods Love

I have been thinking a lot about this topic over the last week for a few reasons. Firstly, I had an assignment to complete for the Training for the Future course (Training for the Future is a theology course I'm doing through the church). The assignment was picking an aspect of God and writing some information on it and I chose God's love. Secondly, I think it's something God put on my heart to think about this week. My mind keeps wandering to it and this coupled with the love filled worship music I have been listening to, have meant it has run through my mind a fair bit.

So, what is it about God's love that is so amazing that it can fill my head for a whole week? Well the assignment taught me a lot about and gave me a fresh look on 1 John 4:8. It says 'God is love' and this confirms to me everything God does, he does in love. It's one of the central parts of who he is. As well as it being central to him, it's also infinite. This part of it I have always found hard to come to grips with. How can God love us infinitely even when we sin and do wrong? I thought of it like this, imagine for a second you are a spaceship, not a huge planet eater but a small little cruiser of some kind. You look around from your spaceship window at the vast infinity of space, it's everywhere all around you, never ending and therefore you can't get out of it. You are in it. Always. That endless space is Gods love. It's all around us, we could fly our 
spaceships around it forever and never leave it, never even fully understand it, but it's there alright. 

As the week went on, I started to come to grips with this love and thought as a Christian I want to share this love with others. Now when I want to do something I often look for role models, people that already do whatever it is I'm trying to do and there is a perfect role model out there.

JESUS!!!

Jesus is a perfect role model for how we should show love to the world in our lives. Going to a public school, not everyone I hang out with is a Christian, in fact very few are. But I have no doubt I have been placed there by God to do his works. This is the kind of place where it's important to follow in Jesus' footsteps. Jesus hung out with tax collectors, prostitutes, beggars and generally people considered the lowest. My school doesn't have prostitutes or tax collectors - you will be happy to know - but it does have its fair share of people that are sometimes looked down upon in society. At school I do what I believe Jesus would do and talk to these people as much as any other person. I know sometimes just being a Christian in those situations can show to people what Christians are like and can lead to some awesome conversations.

So I leave you with the challenge to look further into Gods love. It is all around you, simply open yourself to receive and God will pour it upon you with joy.



Psalm 136:26 says "
Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment