Sunday 4 May 2014

Hit With Joy


I often wonder what people would see in me, notice or what they would think when passing me in the streets or as I clamber onto a bus. I generally guess people would see me for who I am. I often hope though that they see something different in me, shown through my actions or my words. Something of God being revealed.

But recently I discovered that though I try to do this, it is not always the case. It is often harder than easier.
It was a day last term whilst walking home that I got hit. Not by a car but by a realization. Let me further explain.

It had been a long day and I plundered along, minding my own thoughts and business unaware, most definitely, how miserable I looked until a man walked past me and literally yelled....

 







and that was all he said.



It was then that I got hit, like a smack in the face, but deep in my heart. And I laughed because I knew instantly it was God reminding me of the truths I bought back with me from New Day.

'With God there is no fear. Only joy in his presence'

And I realized then that I had somewhat forgotten this. I'd grown blind to the very precious presents God had given me. And that after fully trusting in God to take away my fear about this year at New Day, I was still falling short of the whole 'joyful' side.

In those following weeks God kept slipping little messages at me from above. When I opened up my bible and in songs I was listening to, God was reminding me to be joyful. I find it is often the hardest thing to do, but once doing it, it is the thing that reveals something different about yourself, that little twinkle in your eye that can only be put down to the presence of God in your life. But this can only happen when I am fully in one with God. Fully breathing and living in his presence.

I fall short daily of this but I try and when I am joyful I've discovered it's easier to relate to people, easier to be who God wants me to be and it is definitely easier to talk to peers and people about God. God still reminds me daily to be joyful. It is in these passages that I am reminded of this quote and these verses that will never leave my soul.

'With God there is no fear only joy in his presence.'

Phillipians 4v4 -

'Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again, REJOICE! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything but in every situation by prayer and petition with thanks giving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.'

John 14v27-

'Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid!' 



And In these I am reminded, hit, well not literally but yes hit so suddenly in my heart by the fact that God does take away all our fears and replaces it with joy, but it is up to us as Christians to fully give our fears over to God and let him then work in us. God often reminds me to be joyful on the days when I am far from joyful.

So today are you prepared to be hit by God's joy? Shall we turn and be a generation where something is different within us? Something that draws people in and can only be put down to something greater and more powerful than us? Something that will attract our peers and completely change their lives?

And so I will leave you with the words that have forever changed me,

'With God there is no fear, only joy in his presence'


No comments:

Post a Comment